Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Black Bean, Corn, and Tomato Salad

I made this for my nephew's First Communion BBQ, and it was a huge hit. I took the recipe straight from the Joy of Cooking; it's fantastically tasty, is great for occasions attended by people who have dietary restrictions, is remarkably easy to make, and travels well. I usually make it the night before to give the flavors a chance to meld in yummy ways.

[Yes, I know I should be posting pics of these creations; I'm working on it!]

Black Bean, Corn, and Tomato Salad

Boil in water to cover for 1 minute:
1 1/2 cups corn kernels (cut from 3 ears of corn)
Drain and rinse under cold water. Whisk together in a small bowl:
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
1/8 teaspoon salt
Ground black pepper to taste
Gradually whisk in:
5 tablespoons olive oil, or to taste
1/4 cup snipped or sliced fresh basil
Toss with most of the dressing in a serving bowl:
3 cups cooked black beans (about 1 cup dried), rinsed and drained if canned
With the remaining dressing, toss the corn along with:
8 oz. cherry tomatoes, halved
1 cup chopped red onions
Stir gently into the beans. Serve garnished with:
Fresh basil leaves

No comments: