Saturday, November 29, 2008

Enough food to last a year...

I have no photos, because both meals were eagerly pounced upon within 10 milliseconds of the dishes hitting the table, but we made two *very* successful Thanksgiving dinners this week, and I must brag.

Thursday
Menu
  • Roasted Cornish hens with apple and onion stuffing
  • Mushroom and barley pie, adapted (veganized) from Smitten Kitchen, who adapted it from Gourmet
  • Homemade stuffing (or dressing, I guess, since it was cooked in its own dish), from Mom's recipe, made by Middle Brother
  • Rosemary-roasted potatoes
  • Mashed sweet potatoes
  • Fresh rolls, made by Hubby
  • Salad with raspberries, candied pecans, blue cheese, and vinaigrette, made by Friend Kris
  • Fresh cranberry sauce ('cause the canned stuff's only redeeming quality is slide-off-the plate entertainment)
  • Coleslaw
  • Pumpkin and apple pies, made by Sister-in-Law
Attendees
  • Me (I love that I get to go first)
  • Hubby
  • Mom
  • Dad
  • Middle Brother
  • Sister-in-Law
  • Li'l Brother
  • Friend Kris

Friday
Menu
  • Enough apps to cover an enormous counter, thanks to Mom-in-Law
  • Hot mulled cider
  • 14-lb brined and roasted turkey, recipe courtesy Alton Brown, my foodie crush
  • Homemade stuffing (or dressing, I guess, since it was cooked in its own dish), from Mom's recipe with bread made by Hubby
  • Mashed taters
  • Mashed sweet taters
  • Spinach-phyllo thingy, made by Mom from her own fantastic recipe
  • Apple-cranberry crisp, from Mom's recipe
  • Fresh rolls
  • Green beans with toasted almonds
  • Homemade cranberry sauce
  • Buttered corn
  • Coleslaw
  • Pumpkin squares, made by Mom-in-Law
  • Apple-pear-cranberry pie, made by Brother-in-Law

*Added bonus for Friday: All this cooked in a kitchen that was not my own

Attendees
  • Me (again with the first!)
  • Hubby
  • Mom
  • Dad
  • Mom-in-Law
  • Dad-in-Law
  • Brother-in-Law
  • Sister-in-Law Once Removed (is that really how it works?)
  • Nephew-in-Law
  • Grandpa-in-Law
  • Grandpa-in-Law's GF
  • Devil Cat
Hubby and I were like ticks ready to pop after all this, but oh, the wonderful smells! The joy of being in a kitchen all day again! The satisfaction of feeding people! How I adore holidays.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Sounds like you had an awesome Thanksgiving(s)!

Just because I have to comment... you're not really related to your husband's brother's wife, but it is common to refer to her as your sister-in-law anyway. Kind of falls in the whole visiting with the in-laws blanket.

As for the removed, it applys to cousins that skip a generation.

Now for the word puzzle...

My dad's cousin Howie is my first cousin once removed. Howie's daughter Madison is my 2nd cousin. My hypothetical spawn would be Howie's 1st cousins twice removed. My hypo spawn and Madison's kids would be 3rd cousins and on down the logic trail.

I don't know why I have the compulsion to explain this to everyone, but thanks for bearing with me.